Thursday, September 20, 2012

And now I has a sad...

So I see a link from Think Geek in my Twitter feed. And it is awesome. A Batman lunch box. With. A. CAPE!
Such fabulosity can hardly be limited to Bats, so I dig around on the TG site. Nada. OK, no big, they don't carry everything in the world. I found it on Amazon, and see that it's made my Thermos, and head to their site... where I discover that they have totally bought into the whole action heroes are for boys bullshit.

Barbie, Hello Kitty, Dora the Explorer,  iCarly and various cute purse-style lunch bags
OR Iron Man, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and Darth Vader. Honestly, I may vomit.

Girls get cutesy purses... Boys get severed heads!

I sent the following letter to Thermos, via their contact form:
I was excited to see the Batman caped lunchbox, until I discovered there was no similar one for superHEROINES. Unfortunately, Thermos seems to have decided that girls only want pink and dolls. This is not the case. There are a lot of young girls and adult women who very much want to be part of the superhero scene, but manufacturers have forgotten about us. I see you have both DC and Marvel licenses. There are any number of appropriate heroines that you could use for your products. Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Storm, She-Hulk (one of my all-time faves), Jean Grey... There are lots of us out here in geekland who love our heroines, and buy officially licensed merchandise. Give us a chance! Girls can be heroic too!
If you also think this is total crap, let them know! Use the convenient form on their website (linked above) and TELL them.

No comments: