Saturday, September 21, 2013

Geek/Grrl Power Playlist

I am not a music-obsessed person. I don't even listen to the radio, instead choosing mix CDs I've burnt from my odd collection of music, and then usually only when I'm driving. (I like the quiet at home.) But sometimes the urge to create the perfect soundtrack for a mood or event forces me to go hunting. The event that was my inspiration this time is Geek Girl Con.

I've got 33 songs, for 2+ hours of music. I have a 4 hour flight. If I can't find other music, I might leave it at that. Anyway, this is what I've got so far (not in order yet):
  • I Am Woman, Helen Reddy
  • (I'm the One That's) Cool, The Guild*
  • Nothing to Prove, The Doubleclicks
  • All I Really Want, Alanis Morissette
  • Rock This Joint, Alannah Myles
  • What I Am, Edi Brickell & the New Bohemians
  • Call Me, Blondie
  • Control, Janet Jackson
  • These Boots Are Made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra
  • We Got the Beat, The Go-Go's
  • The Warrior, Scandal (Patty Smyth)
  • Redneck Woman, Gretchen Wilson
  • Goodbye Earl, The Dixie Chicks
  • Respect, Aretha Franklin
  • Bad Reputation, Joan Jett
  • Bitch, Meredith Brooks
  • Just a Girl, No Doubt
  • Man! I Feel Like a Woman!, Shania Twain
  • You Gotta Be, Des'ree
  • All I Wanna Do, Sheryl Crow
  • Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves, Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin
  • Independent Women Part 1, Destiny's Child
  • U.N.I.T.Y, Queen Latifah
  • One Girl Revolution, Saving Jane
  • Rebel Girl, Bikini Kill
  • Can't Hold Us Down, Christina Aguilera w/ Lil' Kim
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper
  • I Am Woman, Jordin Sparks
  • I'm Every Woman, Chaka Khan
  • Superwoman, Alicia Keys
  • Can't Keep a Good Woman Down, Sista Monica
  • Never Underestimate a Girl, Vanessa Hudgens
  • You Don't Own Me, Rasputina†
There may be more to come; this is just the work of an evening and morning. The con isn't for another month (squeeee!), so I have time. I also have to put them in order so things aren't lumped together. (I Am Woman and I'm Every Woman cannot be together, that's obnoxious.)


__________
* Not a female-empowerment song as such, but I love Felicia Day, and the reference to "prom queen bitches" is fierce. Who doesn't remember those girls?

† You wouldn't believe the frustration this song caused. The original version is by Leslie Gore, and frankly, I find it incredibly draggy. These lyrics need to be sung with defiance and fire! In the end, I chose the cover by Rasputina that is even more draggy than the original. Why? Because I couldn't find what I wanted so I went in the opposite direction. :P

No comments: