Friday, April 18, 2014

Call (Alien: Resurrection) and Crime Syndicate Superwoman

I recently found Call, portrayed by Winona Rider in Alien: Resurrection (1997), at a Half Price Books store. Made by Hasbro (still with the Kenner brand on the box -- Hasbro bought Kenner and its licenses in 1991), this was from Hasbro's "Signature Series." Unfortunately, they didn't also have Ripley, so the only Lt. Ripley I have is the small 1992 Kenner figure that looks nothing like Sigourney Weaver. Rider's likeness in this figure isn't bad, and I much prefer the larger size. The box is pretty beat up, but since she won't be in it for long, who cares?


I'll be on the lookout for the Ripley figure from this series that has a much better likeness to Weaver (and is taller).

Last Wednesday, I also picked up Crime Syndicate Superwoman at my local comics shop. This DC Collectibles figure is quite an attractive sculpt and paint. The face in particular is awesome. Her blue eyes are rather piercing, and they and her mouth were painted with a glossy paint so they have a wet shine. She's also wearing high-heeled boots, so it should be interesting to see how well she stands up out of the box. Which poses the question: as (essentially) Wonder Woman's evil twin from an alternate dimension, does she go on the Wonder Woman shelf, or with the other DC figures? Leaning strongly toward "other."


There's another female figure in with the Super-Villains Crime Syndicate set. Atomica, a small unarticulated figure, comes with Johnny Quick, but I am not paying $25 for Quick when all I want is the little 2-inch Atomica.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I have the Ripley Alien: Resurrection figure! Of course I found it eighty million years ago at (the now defunct, I believe) KayBee Toys about three or four years after the film was released and was only about $4. I also picked up the Alien and the Newborn (which was creepy as hell, and I left it in the box).

W. A. Whipple said...

Ah yes, K•B, where toys went to die... I picked up all my Alpha Flight figures there. (And yes, they are defunct; TRU bought the brand but the assets were all liquidated to creditors.)

I'm on the fence about getting one of the Alien Queens. On the one hand, female, on the other, nightmares. I probably will, just because Giger's design for them is simply masterful.

Unknown said...

That DC toy line is pretty fantastic, Superwoman is a great looking figure and on my wish list. All I've bought so far though is Owlman and Captian Boomerang (both awesome!)

W. A. Whipple said...

I'd like to have Atomica, just 'cause, but not shelling out for Quick to get it. Maybe I'll find her on ebay, when someone opens him up and gets rid of her...