Monday, May 20, 2013

The Joy of Discovery (Off-Topic)

This is an off-topic post, as it doesn't deal with feminism, action figures, or heroines. But it's my blog, so I write what I want, and I want to write about this.

I had heard of Kickstarter and crowd-funding before the blow-up over Sarkeesian's Tropes vs. Women in Video Games, but visiting the site to back that project was the first time I'd been involved with it. Some of the things I've backed have been things I stumbled on while browsing the site, but most of them have come to my attention through other sources sharing projects. So not only crowd funded, but crowd publicized. And that's one of the marvelous things about social media.

The latest thing that caught my attention was shared on Geek Magazine's Facebook page, a project called BLOOD KISS. I watched the video, and I was sold.


I've been a vampire fan for a long time. This is to be a film noir vampire movie, set in 1940s Hollywood. But I also love some of the things writer Michael Reaves has worked on in the past. His IMDb page is lengthy, but a couple of the things that jumped out at me were Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Gargoyles. The fact that Neil Gaiman is on board with the project didn't hurt, I'll admit. The Daily Dead interviewed Reaves and others, getting exclusive details about Blood Kiss, and just makes it sound more exciting.

When he took it to his agent, the guy loved it but said he couldn't sell it. *sigh* Hollywood sucks, y'all. They'll remake every movie that never needed remaking in the first damn place, but nothing original ever happens... And that's where crowd-funding comes in. Which brings me back 'round to social media.

It's so exciting to be involved with something like this, something that, if I had missed the Geek Magazine post about Blood Kiss, I might have missed it entirely. Let's make sure other people don't miss this. The more money Reaves and his Kickstarter earn for this project, the better the movie will be. So please share this widely, tell people about it. The more people we tell, the more people might get involved and see this made, and made well.

No comments: